The club was formed after the First World War from "The Comrades of the Great War" and was registered in 1928 by the Industrial Provident Society Act as "The Boldon Colliery North Road Social Club and Institute". Until 1952 the premises consisted of a large wooden hut hence "The Shack", the present name of the building. It had a bar, a billiard room and a committee room. In 1952 it was decided to build the present structure whose austere exterior belies its very comfortable interior. There is a very friendly atmosphere where the members enjoy the use of a newly renovated lounge accommodating 300 people. there is also a bar for 300. On the first floor there is a ballroom with a fully sprung maple floor, a bar and room for 300 dancers and diners.